Banyan Tree Project

I saw this commercial for the Banyan Tree, a project to raise awareness and acceptance of HIV/AIDS in the Asian community, on Hulu today, and I thought it was interesting considering the discussions we’ve had on sexuality in Asian cultures and the sexual stereotypes of Asian-Americans.  However, despite the literature/media that represents Asian (American) women as hyper-sexual, we haven’t discussed the consequences this has (STDs, unwanted pregnancies, etc.).

The site reads: “The Banyan Tree Project is a national campaign to end the silence and shame surrounding HIV/AIDS in Asian and Pacific Islander (A&PI) communities. The Banyan Tree Project produces an annual social marketing campaign, the National Asian & Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, and Capacity Building Assistance (CBA) programs, targeting community-based organizations serving Asians and Pacific Islanders.”

Despite the image of Asian (American) men being nonsexual, all three speakers in this campaign video are male.  After poking through the site, I found the presence of a few speakers that are female, but overall, the site is much more male-dominated. I wonder if this is an attempt to change the stereotype held by Americans to show that Asian men are sexual too or if this is just the culture of a heavily male-dominated society showing through.

If you’re interested, under HIV Info and Fact Sheet, there are several PDFs that break down statistics (particular attention is given to California and Bay area.