Dulce et Decorum Est

While this may have nothing at all to do with Asian American Literature, I thought I would share a poem I was reminded of while reading II of Notes From The Divided Country. I personally had a difficult time reading the poems in the book than in this poem; nevertheless, it’s a poem about war…somewhat relevant. http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/owen1.html

And since we can use the blog for questions/further discussion, I had a question about the title of the poem on page 25, “Animal Farm, or Song of the Colonial Governor-General”. I definitely need to re-read these poems, but does anyone else have a better grasp of the purpose behind the Orwell allusion? Or if it is an Orwell allusion?
This is a lengthy post, sorry. So many questions!

One Response to “Dulce et Decorum Est”

1. cttuley Says:

We did a couple of days on poetry in my WWI seminar, and Dule et Decorum Est is my professor’s very favorite. One of the big themes we talked about was how much the the poetry changed over time. It started out very patriotic and enthusiastic (with the exception of poetry by women. Read Rupert Brooke’s “1914: The Soldier” and compare it to May Herschel Clark’s “The Mother.” The difference between the two is heartbreaking). But as the war went on, it became so much darker. What I’ve really been enjoying about Kim is that she’s able to give a voice to all those opinions. She writes very passionately about all these different aspects of war.

Wish I could help with the Orwellian themes of “Animal Farm. or Song of the Colonial Governor-General,” but it has been far too long since I read that book. It is a really creepy poem, though. When I first read it, I got such an unpleasant vision in my head of the man and the rat.